Friday, September 12, 2008

The first week (or 2) of my new year!

It all started 9 days ago... my new year! But this year was going to be different than all the others... really different. My son (who we call Monkey around the house) was starting Kindergarten at the same time as I was. A once in a lifetime thing for me (until my other son Destructadon, 16 months, starts in about 4 years). I was so excited... a new crop of kindergarten students for me and a new crop of kindergarten friends for Monkey. We woke up that morning, got ready, ate breakfast (no Starbucks for me that morning), took our token pictures and got in the car together. I have been waiting for this day for years! He would be in the classroom next door to mine and I would get to see him whenever I wanted! We waited in my classroom for the clock to turn 8:40 when he would be allowed to go the 30 feet to the next door down from where we were. The bell rang, he went! What a big guy he has become. I tried not to cry since I had 25 kids and all of their parents gathering right in front of me wanting to take my picture with my new student... they were supposed to be the most important thing happening at that second. But as hard as it is to say, they weren't. That second I tried my hardest to watch Monkey enter his room... I got to see a glimpse, but barely. I sent a friend of mine (a fellow teacher at my school and a fellow new Kindergarten parent in that classroom) down the hall with my camera since I couldn't go to take the pictures that I should have been taking. My husband couldn't be there for work related reasons... (no, work ISN'T more important for him, but his job made him have another obligation at the same time... BUMMER... and work had to take precidence for me... BUMMER AGAIN!). Kate got wonderful pics of her son, the J man, and Monkey together walking into the room next door and playing table toys on the first day of school. It was SO SO SO hard not to go into the room next door... I kept trying to think of an excuse to run over but I just couldn't do that to him or the teacher, my only other kindergarten colleague and friend. Finally noon came and I was dismissing my 1/2 day kinders and there he was, my Monkey. He smiled the biggest smile. gave me the biggest hug and told me his day was "great!". He then went on his way to his 2nd adventure for the day, SACC (School Age Child Care) which is housed in my school for those kids with "working parents." Since we are still one of the only schools left with 1/2 day kindergarten in the entire universe, Monkey would have to go to SACC for the other 1/2 day. He loved it as well! Now as the year is starting, I am seeing Monkey all around school (playground, library, hallway, etc...) and it has become really fun (it's just hard for a 5 year old to understand when it is okay and not okay to run up, hug and kiss mommy at her work, his school).

I have enjoyed getting to know all of my new little individuals. I have many kids in my classes... 46 to be exact. That translates to 46 new personalities to get to know, 46 literacy assessments to give (TWICE!), 46 math assessments to give (with 7 parts each), 46 report cards to create (3 times)... need I go on? But I love it and wouldn't trade it for the world or any other grade for that matter. I've been there... 3rd, hated it! 1st, still wasn't quite me. But Kindergarten was where I needed to be and I love it! My new kids this year are great so far... I have many princes and princesses, a Pirate and believe it or not, even a frog princess! I can't wait for the many adventures that this year will bring. I usually have a parent or 3 that I get close to (still am in contact with many of them from the past and had one stop in today saying how much she "missed Kindergarten"). The advantage to that this year is the fact that many of these parents have kids Monkey's age so I do know some of them coming into the year (playgroups and neighbors... I teach in the neighborhood I live in). The Frog Princess is around the corner, The Pirate's grandmother lives across the street and a couple of others are close to my house (but don't know it yet). Can't wait for all the adventures!

1 comment:

Metro DC Mom said...

How cool that you teach at your son's school! I hope to do some subbing at my sons' school when my younger son hits K.

I found you on the Mom Blogger Club.