Saturday, September 13, 2008

The weekends of a kindergarten teacher and mother

One would figure that the weekend is when a teacher would get to relax... WRONG! My weekend has consisted of making folders for our first assessment tomorrow and trying to figure out how we are going to set up our learning stations this year... we are seriously changing the way we do things. The need for change came at the end of last year. Kindergarten students need much more these days than they ever have. They need to be challenged and they need to learn to be a little more independant. You would be surprised how much a 5 year old really can do! So anyhow, at the end of last year, my colleague (the one who is Monkey's teacher) went to visit a few other schools. We were dying to find change and we found it at this one school... they have cutting edge teachers and classrooms and we LOVED it! I am one who belives that teachers need to change and evolve as the needs of students do (there are still too many of those "old fashioned" teachers out there who don't).

Anyhow, to make a long story short, my weekend consisted of preparing school work, shopping for clothes (not for me, but for my husband) and playing playing playing with my kiddos. I did get to sleep in this morning until my husband decided it was time to put his clothes away in our bedroom. It was good while it lasted!

3 comments:

hippos toes said...

Just popping over from MBC. My son is only 1 1/2 and I'm already amazed at what he can do. I can only imagine him at 5 :).

Amy Clary said...

Ah, the life of a teacher. I'm in school for Early Childhood Education and THAT seems like a lot of busy work. I can't imagine a step up from that. :)

(visiting from the MBC)

pink and green mama MaryLea said...

Is a teacher's day off ever a day off? No. Frog Princess loves your classroom and so does her mommy. Thanks for all of your hard work and dedication!